Surfing Paradise, The Panaitan Island
Panaitan Island is part of Ujung Kulon National Park, West Java. The island is uninhabited and has a dense forest that becomes home to many animals such as deer, wild boar, monkey, python, birds, several species of crocodiles and giant lizards. However, some ancient Hindu statue which sits atop the Mount Raksa indicates a human life ever existed on the island of panaitan.
The island of Panaitan has wide sandy beaches and some good scuba diving sites for enjoying the beauty of marine life and coral reefs. One of the famous diving spot in the Panaitan Island is Batu Pitak near Legon Butun. However, diving on the Panaitan is not recommended because of strong currents and some other natural factors.
The interesting things of this island is its great sea waves for surfing. The surfers called Panaitan Island as pristine surfing paradise. Many point surfing in Panaitan that has amazing waves such as Napalm, Pussy’s, Illusions, Indicator, Croc n ‘Rolls, Angels, Insight Right, Apocalypse and many others. And the most famous and make Panaitan as surfer’s paradise is a One Palm Point. One Palm Point on the Panaitan is one of the longest in the world, up to 800 yards.
How to get there? Panaitan is not easy to achieve. From Soekarno Hatta Jakarta, it still require 3-4 hours journey to reach the port on the west coast of the island of Java, such as Anyer, Carita, Tanjung Lesung or Labuan. From one of these ports, you need a boat to Panaitan island, about 3-6 hours depending on the type of boat (fast / slow) as well as ocean waves and weather. Luckily now, there has been some travel agents who provide packages to the island. You can search through the internet.
Because most of the island is still jungle and included in the conservation area, then here is some tips :
- Bring your own tent for staying, or you can stay at ranger post or on the boat, no inn in the island
- Bring your own supplies of medicines
- Take quinine pills before going to Panaitan
- Bring cash to make payments, because there will be no atm in the island
- There will be no cellular signals from all operators
- Flashlight, electricity only at 18:00 to 00:00
- Bring your own equipment for surfing or diving and snorkeling, there is no rent in Panaitan
- Bring your own fishing equipment
- Rental Guide for the trip to Panaitan
- Bring clothes, raincoat, sunblock, hat, sunglasses have become a liability
- Bring your own foods, drinks and cookwares or you can ask it to the boat owner
Have a great surfing in Panaitan Island…
"Photos are copyrighted by their owners."