Danar Hadi Museum, The Museum Of Batik
The passion of H. Santosa Doellah for preserving Batik, trigger the idea of building a museum of batik. As one of the Cultural identities, batik is an insperable part of the city of Surakarta – or popularly known as Solo. Batik crafts-starting from home industries to giant professional manufacturers – are a common sight in every corner of the city.
The history of Batik Danar Hadi also began in this city, when H. Santosa Doellah and his wife Hj. Danarsih Santosa decided to start their batik business in 1967. The name Danar Hadi itself was actually a combination of two names ; Ibu Danarsih and her father H. Hadipriyono.
Displayed in this gallery are the antique batiks that were created through the period of time before and during the Dutch and Japanese occupancy, till the independence of Indonesia. Observe batik art at its finest, which includes the Batik Kraton, Batik Belanda, Batik Cina, Batik Hokokai, Batik Indonesia and Batik Saudagaran.
The old building of Ndalem Wuryanigratan itself is promised to be an interesting object for cultural tourism, displaying the spendor of traditional Javanese architecture.
“Galeri Batik Kuno Danar Hadi” is located at the centre of Surakarta, at Jl. BrigJen. Slamet Riyadi No. 261-263, the main street of Surakarta.
The founding of this Gallery was based on Mr. Santosa Doellah’s wish in his effort in preserving batik since the Gallery’s missions are:
- Preserving batik in any aspects
- Providing information for the educational society
- Building another tour asset for Surakarta in particular and for Indonesia in general
3. The Building
This Gallery consists of eights halls:
- Gallery I
- Gallery II
- Gallery III
- Two Showrooms
- Hand waxing department
- Stamp waxing department
- Dyeing department
4. Collections Being Displayed
Gallery I displays:
- Batik Belanda (from 1840-1910)
- Batik Cina (before 1910 and after 1910)
- Batik Djawa Hokokai (1942-1945)
- Batik Kraton (batik from the palaces)
- Batik Puro Mangkunegaran
- Batik Puro Pakualaman
- Batik Kasunanan Surakarta
- Batik Kasultanan Yogyakarta
Batik Pengaruh Kraton (batik influenced by the Batik from palaces):
- Batik Cirebon
- Batik Banyumas
- Batik Indramayu (Batik Dermayon)
- Batik Madura
- Batik influenced by The Indian Cloth
- Batik Danar Hadi
Gallery II displays:
- Flow of process (Traditional Batik Process)
- Batik Wax ingredients
- Batik Indonesia (1950)
- Batik Wonogiri (1966-1975)
- Batik Kontemporer
- Batik created by Guruh Soekarno Putra
- Batik created by Amry Yahya
- Batik created by Bambang Oetoro
- Batik created by SP. Gustami
- Batik created by Soemihardjo
- Batik Souvenir
5. Processing Department
Batik Process being shown in this gallery are mostly Multi Coloured Batik Process (Batik Pesisiran Processes) applied on silk.
Traditional Performing Arts
Included in the “one stop shopping” concept, Galeri Batik Kuno Danar Hadi will continually stage traditional performing arts or other cultural events from Central Java and nearby regions. Visitors may enjoy a buffet lunch or dinner prepared just for the event.
Artistic Atmosphere of the Workshop
Take advantage in viewing the process of batik making, whether stamped or drawn, which are famous for its high standard of quality.
"Photos are copyrighted by their owners."